Florida and hockey are two things you wouldn’t expect to go together, right? Well there are plenty of options available for any hockey fan in Florida, both on and off rink. Hockey fans should get to know the two best locations in Florida to catch an NHL game in Tampa and Sunrise. Both teams consistently vie for play-off spots in the Stanley Cup finals so if you tell your neighbor you’re going to Florida to see a game you might not get the confused look that someone would have given you a few years back.
Tampa is located in the central-east area of Florida. Tampa boasts Amalie Arena, the home of the Tampa Bay Lightning – as well as theme parks, zoos , the Tampa Convention Center, Florida Aquarium and world-class dining otpions that aren’t to be missed.
Sunrise is found in southeast Florida and borders on three counties – Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. What makes this area special is is proximity to the Everglades Conservation Area. It’s also located minutes away from Ft. Lauderdale’s beaches, and less than an hour from the cities of Miami and Palm Beach. Sunrise is super accessible by inerstates I-595, I-75 and the Sawgrass Expressway, and just west of the Florida Turnpike. The BB&T Center is the Florida Panther’s home turf.
Read on to learn more about your perfect trip itinerary, where to stay, more the hockey arenas and things to do in Tampa and Sunrise.
Where to Stay
You could stay in a generic hotel chain in Tampa and Sunrise, but why not try a Vacation Rental instead? You’ll be able to enjoy all the comforts of a fully-furnished home while immersing yourself in the local atmosphere by renting a house instead of a hotel room. Not to mention the huge savings! Vacation rentals are often cheaper than the cost of a hotel room. Think of the savings you’ll reap by eating breakfast and lunches at your “home away from home”. Stretch out and enjoy private amenities all to yourself like hot tubs, heated pools, outdoor bars, etc…
In Tampa, why not rent a nearby vacation rental? Find a luxury executive retreat close to the area. Located around 25 minutes from Amalie Arena and Tampa, as well as 8 minutes from Tampa International Airport, it is the perfect place for out of state visitors looking for a good hockey destination in Florida.
Near Sunrise there are an abundance of options to rent by owner. Including this fabluous beach house with a backyard pool, hot tub, and tiki bar. Located just 25 minutes from the BB&T Center, it’s perfect for any Hockey fan looking for a place to catch some sun, surf and ice!
Things to Do
Duh…. Go to a Hockey Game!
A perfect Florida hockey vacation would never be complete without going to watch a game! The two main NHL arenas in Florida are Amalie Arena in Tampa and the BB&T Center in Sunrise,. The Amalie Arena regularly hosts the Tampa Bay Lightning, while the BB&T Center is the home ice rink of the Florida Panthers. The arenas are not just filled with Canadian snowbirds but are fast becoming a popular sports event for Americans too.
NHL Hockey Season runs from October through April each year.
Tampa Bay Bolts Fans – General Arena Information
The Amalie Arena is like no other arena in the NHL. It’s located right on Tampa Bay, perfectly perched on Channelside Drive where you have pedestrian access to great harborside restaurants and cafes of the city of Tampa. Nearby Ybor City is not to be overlooked with its unique Cuban flavors and architecture. Amalie Arena has a capacity of 20,000 people so get there early for parking! The arena is l
How much are Tampa Bay Lightning Bolts Hockey Tickets?
Florida Panther Fans – General Arena Information
The BB&T Center has an incredible location, smack dab next to the uber-large Sawgrass Mills Outlet Shopping Complex. Not only does Sawgrass Mills contain many popular shopping brands, but it also has great restaurants to enjoy like California Pizza Kitchen, The Cheesecake Factory and a whole lot more.
Super easy to access by multiple interstate highways (I-95, I-595, I-75). No matter which eay you are coming from it will be easy to access this 19,250 capacity arena. Keep in mind to store your shopping bags before heading to the arena. Only bags up to 1 x 1 ft are permitted inside the arena.
How much are Florida Panther Hockey Tickets?
What is a 50/50 Draw?
At each of the Florida hockey games, fans can take part in the each team’s 50/50 Raffle. At the end of the event, one lucky winner will take home half of the proceeds from that day’s raffle sales. The other half of the total benefits the Florida hockey team’s charity of choice. To buy a ticket, fans can visit any 50/50 Raffle kiosk or look for sellers that wander throughout the concourses.
How much is Parking?
In Tampa Lightning area prices can range from $10 to $25 depending on how close you want to get. Try exploring some Park ‘n ride options to save money.
How much are beer and drinks in the Florida NHL Hockey Arenas?
How much does food cost in the Florida hockey arenas?
There is also a healthier option of
Play some Hockey Yourself
You don’t have to just watch the NHL to have a great Florida hockey vacation. Why not get out on the ice yourself? Florida is host to twenty different rinks across the state, offering a variety of hockey and skating programs and fun events to do. We’ve put together a complete list of the ice rinks you can skate at in Florida by location from A to Z.
A List of Florida Ice Hockey Rinks Visitors Can Skate At:
- Brandon Ice Sports Forum 10222 Elizabeth Pl, Tampa, FL 33619, United States – 813-684-7825
- Clearwater Ice Arena 13940 Icot Blvd, Clearwater, FL 33760, United States – 727-536-5843
- Clearwater Tampa Bay Skating Academy 27001 US-19, Clearwater, FL 33761, United States – 727-723-7785
- Cocoa Beach/Rockledge Spacecoast Iceplex 720 Roy Wall Blvd, Rockledge, FL 32955, United States – 321-504-7500
- Coral Springs Panthers Ice Den 3299 Sportsplex Dr, Coral Springs, FL 33065, United States – 954-341-9956
- Daytona Ice Arena 2400 S Ridgewood Ave #63d, South Daytona, FL 32119, United States – 386-322-4848
- Ellenton Ice & Sports Forum (formally the Igloo) 5309 29th St E, Ellenton, FL 34222, United States- 941-723-3663
- Estero/Ft Myers/Naples Germain Arena 11000 Everblades Parkway, Estero, FL 33928, United States – 239-948-7825
- Ft Myers Skatium 2250 Broadway, Fort Myers, FL 33901, United States – 239-321-7510
- Hollywood Pembroke Pines Ice Arena 12425 Taft St, Pembroke Pines, FL 33028, United States954-704-7800
- Jacksonville Ice and Sportsplex 3605 Philips Hwy, Jacksonville, FL 32207, United States – 904-399-3223
- Kissimmee Ice Factory of Central Florida: 3605 Philips Hwy, Jacksonville, FL 32207, United States – 407-933-4259
- Miami Kendall Ice Arena 10355 Hammocks Blvd, Miami, FL 33196, United States – 305-386-8288
- Palm Beach Ice Works 1590 N Florida Mango Rd, West Palm Beach, FL 33409, United States – 561-656-4046
- Palm Beach Skate Zone 8125 Lake Worth Rd, Lake Worth, FL 33467, United States – 561-963-5900
- Pensacola Bay Center 201 E Gregory St, Pensacola, FL 32502, United States 850-432-0800
- Orlando RDV Sports Complex, 8701 Maitland Summit Blvd, Orlando, FL 32810, United States – 407-916-2550
- Oldsmar Tampa Bay Skating Academy 255 Forest Lake Blvd N, Oldsmar, FL 34677, United States- 813-854-4010
- The Rink on the Beach 4601 N Federal Hwy, Pompano Beach, FL 33064, United States – 954-943-1437
- Wesley Chapel AdventHealth Center Ice 3173 Cypress Ridge Blvd, Wesley Chapel, FL 33544, United States – 813-803-7372
Other Things To Do in Tampa:
- Have more thrills at Tampa Bay’s Busch Gardens Amusement Park.
- Relax and enjoy the animals at Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo
- Ybor City just a few blocks over from Amalie arena is a great spot for bar hopping, restaurants and nightlife
- Nearby Tampa International Mall is a fab spot for any shop-o-holic
Other Things To Do in Sunrise:
- Sawgrass Mills Outlet Shops. This place is ginormous with over 350+ shops including favorites like Nike, Under Armor, Ralph Lauren, Coach, and more designer’s digs.
- Nearby Fort Lauderdale’s beaches are a hit with every visitor to Florida
- Speed around and see Miami’s Sights with the Thriller Miami Speedboat Tours. You can aslo hop on an airboat tour in nearby Fort Lauderdale too.
- Soak up some Sun at Miami’s Beaches and Sunrise’s Parks.
Where To Eat
Restaurants for Tampa Bay Bolts Fans
After an exciting game at Amalie Arena, Tampa, you’ll probably need something to eat. Here are some options for both family and solo dining:
- Have a hearty lunch at Samaria Cafe, a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence Award Winner.
- Check out the Armature Works Public Market for a wide variety of food and drink that will surely satisfy both adults and children alike.
- Try Ulele for a vibrant fusion of Florida ingredients, as well as a more refined atmosphere overlooking the Hillsborough River.
Restaurants for Florida Panther’s Fans
Restaurants in Sunrise are abundant easpecially in the Sawgrass Mills Outlet Mall just beside the arena.
- Breakfast and Lunch in Sunrise are sorted with the About Time Cafe. Stocking a selection of breakfast favorites, including vegetarian and Gluten-Free options.
- For a dinner that’s a little different, try the Don Carlin Restaurant in Sunrise. A variety of Cuban and Spanish dishes await.
If you’re staying in Miami, while catching a Panther’s game here are some great eateries to nosh away at.
- Need a snack or a coffee? Try Andrix Cafe at Miami Beach. Great pizza, desserts and a beachfront atmosphere await.
- Dinner in Miami is sorted thanks to Santorini By Georgios. Offering Mediterranean atmosphere and lovely seafood meals.
A hockey fan does not have to leave their passion behind when holidaying to Florida. Whether alone, with friends or with family, there are still plenty of activities in Florida that will allow you to soothe that hockey craving, as well as providing excitement and entertainment in many other ways. For your next trip to Florida, think about booking a vacation rental that will allow you to “Book the Same Vacation Rentals for Less”.
If you like this article you might also enjoy our Insider’s Guide to Spring Training Baseball Fields in Florida found here.
Skip the traveler fees that are charged on other large online travel agency platforms like Aribnb, HomeAway, VRBO and Expedia. Reserve your vacation rental on FLARBO – Florida Rental By Owners where there are no booking fees for either traveler or property owners. FLARBO, it’s the best option for Florida travelers.
Interested in visiting Florida?
You can view all Florida vacation rental properties here. Get the whole house for a whole lot less!
Florida’s #1 Owner Preferred Website. No Traveler Fees, No Commissions, and Direct Communication with verified Owners.